Last week I was so busy with work, school and my client orders for Alchimisti that I didn't have time to post on the blog =(. But this week I finally found some time to take pictures of this lovely dress that I made using the pattern M7242 from The Mccall Pattern Company.
I bought this pattern on sale during a recent trip to my local Joann. The dress featured in the pattern envelope is so cute that I decided to look for a fabric with a similar look to it. I found this cool rayon fabric in downtown Los Angeles and cut into it as soon as I got home! As a good beginner sewer that I am, I did not realize that rayon can be tricky to work with, especially if you plan on pattern matching (which I clearly did attempt to). The fabric also has very distinct striped motifs and lining them up perfectly was no easy task.
To make matters worst, this was the first time I EVER attempted to sew buttonholes (and buttons). I was always scared of trying to sew anything that required buttons, but I loved this dress so much that I decided it was time to try!! But I guess slippery rayon with a tricky striped motif might have been a bad choice of fabric for my first go with buttons. After much frustration (and a good dose of anger followed by dismay and self-pity) I decided to accept this dress the way it is and wear it proud! At least until I decide to redo the buttons for the third time haha!